Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Audra's Room - Winter, Early 2014

So during my first Thanksgiving dinner, after we'd all eaten, several of us took turn peeling large chunks of wallpaper off Audra's walls.  There's just something very satisfying about picking and peeling ugly wallpaper, especially when the little peel turns into a huge sheet coming off in one piece. And apparently I'm not alone in my weirdness, because my family dove right in and joined me.

So after scraping all the wallpaper off, 3 of the walls were a fleshy (pretty....) colored, glossy paint, and the West wall appeared to have been painted one more time after that (?).  This wall was pretty heavily cracked, probably from the second story beatings it takes in the winter facing the West.  There was a vintage, ballerina patterned wallpaper under this wall.  I saved a piece for my scrapbook.  I'll see if I can get a pic.

Closer look at the cracked plaster/paint layers on the West wall.
You can't really see the detail in this pic, but we are about to start filling cracks and leveling bumps.  Basically, skimming most of the walls to restore them to as smooth as possible.
My awesome Dad finishing what looks like layer #2 or #3.  He might be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to home improvements.  I might be a little bit like him.  That's all I'm gonna say.
My Dad actually let me do the mudding on one wall!  All by myself!  It's definitely an art form.  I didn't think I did too bad.  Of course, my Dad did three walls in the time it took me to do one, but hopefully he's glad he taught me how, because I end up doing the next room I tackled all by myself!  Stay tuned :)

No comments: